Recipe for Fatherhood

Friday, June 02, 2006

Announcing Recipe for Fatherhood

I recently became a father and I vividly remember the months leading up to Hannah's birth. My partner Alexis and I did everything we were supposed to. We took prenatal classes, read all the books and got lots of advice from friends. There wasn't much support, however, for fathers-to-be in the kitchen.

Most of the recipes on www.recipeforfatherhood.com are mine but there are some that have been in my family for many years and have a rich history. As an Army wife, for instance, my mother often had to "make do" under unusual living conditions. The Fiesta Tamale Casserole was invented in 1965 when, while living in Okinawa, she went to the Commissary one day to find the shelves bare because a typhoon had kept the regular shipments from coming into port on time. Using whatever she could find, desperation turned to inspiration and we now have a recipe that's been in the family for 40-plus years.

I've also drawn upon my grandmother's World War II-era recipes for housewives trying to manage meals under restrictive nation-wide rationing and my great-grandmother's Depression-era hints that save just as much time and money in the kitchen now as they did in the 1920s.

This blog will be a complement to the site and include regular updates of recipes I post at the site or are working on for the site. I hope you enjoy these simple, easy to make recipes that I have developed. If you have any feedback, write me at nelshenderson@mac.com .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home